Wecome...

Thanks so much for stopping by. I look forward to you sharing thoughts and comments about my blog posts and to getting to know you better through them.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Willingness is all that matters...

One of the services our hospice company provides is a compassionate care team.  This team is made up of volunteers that are willing to be contacted on very short notice to spend time with a person that is actively dying.

We had a request for just such a sitter late last week.  The request was for someone to sit with a dying patient and read him scriptures.  I had the perfect volunteer in mind so I sent her an e-mail and ask if she would be able to spend some time with this man the following evening.  She replied back that she would be happy to help out in this matter.

As it turned out, the man died later the same day the request came in so there was no need for the volunteer to make her visit.  Following is the volunteers response to the e-mail I sent her telling her our patient had passed.

I am so sorry to hear that.  My prayers will be with the family. I have to confess I was a little nervous, but I felt like it was something that I could definately help with and I wanted to.  Thank you for considering me for the job.
 
This would have been this volunteers first time sitting as a member of the compassionate care team.  Of course she would be a bit nervous.  The important part was that she didn't let it stop her from doing something that she felt was important and knew that she could assist in. 
 
I am a big believer in the theory that if we simply show up we will be used in exactly the right way.  We don't have to worry about how things will go or if we will goof up.  If we show up, everything else will fall into place.
 
We are all on this Earth to help one another and make the world a better place.  It is much easier to complete this task if we don't let doubt or worry creep into our thought patterns.  As I put it, "I just need to stay out of my way," and not let self-doubt talk interfer in doing what I am being lead to do.
 
So big Kudos volunteer for your willngness to be used by God to bring comfort and peace to another.  May he reward you greatly and bring you your hearts desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment