Wecome...

Thanks so much for stopping by. I look forward to you sharing thoughts and comments about my blog posts and to getting to know you better through them.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Text messages

As with most new change in my life, there was a time when I was resistant to text messaging.  Just because I have opposable thumbs doesn't mean I need to learn to type with them!  I am here to say that my job as V.C. has completely changed my mind, and is a huge assist in getting our patients cared for in the best, most efficient way possible.  For example...

Last Saturday morning my youngest and I planned our long run (13.1 miles this date) to end at a restaurant.  We had just sat down to order and I got this text: "Hi Patty, was wondering if my mom was having a visit from her volunteer this morning."  I knew she was scheduled to have one but wasn't 100% sure that something didn't come up to change the volunteer's schedule, so I sent a text to the volunteer and a follow-up text to the daughter.  The daughter and I texted back and forth regarding her mom and dad for a few minutes and then I got a text from my volunteer saying that she had visited with the patient and in fact had just left her home.  I was able to send the daughter a reassuring text, didn't have to worry about my volunteer, and had this all accomplished before my omelet and hash browns were delivered to the table.

My volunteers are not suppose to do hands on care for our patients especially in regards to transferring and dressing because of the training/regulation requirements.  One morning I received this text: "Hi Patty.  I am here to visit Mrs. ****** and she wants to get up.  I can't remember if it is okay if I get her dressed."  My reply, "R we talking helping with her sweater or shoes, or r we talking full on dressing?"  My volunteer texted back a few minutes later, "Full on dressing, but I didn't feel comfortable with that so I got someone in the facility to help her."  I was able to text back that she made exactly the right call, NEVER do anything you feel uncomfortable with, and thank her for reaching out to me when she was unsure what to do.  After all, that is what I am here for!

The most important thing I try and convey to my volunteers is that when they are in the field making visits they are fully supported and they should never feel something is too trivial to call (or text) about.  If they can't get hold of me in a timely manner, then they are instructed to call the office number and talk to the clinical services director.  Our C.S.D. knows every detail about each and every patient (and this is only one of her many gifts and talents) and will be able to help them.  If it is after regular business hours they can still call the office number to speak with the on call nurse. 

The job that our volunteers do for us is so important to our patients.  Finding ways to support them in doing their jobs is one of the most rewarding part of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment